Edit Content

Freelance accounting books. NEWS

The novelties that have begun to be required as of this January are intended to achieve maximum compatibility between the VAT and personal income tax books.

The main change with respect to the personal income tax and the self-employed's accounting books in 2020 will be the obligation to include the other contracting party's NIF in both the sales and income books and the purchase and expenditure books.

If the dynamics of your activity (small shops, bars, etc.) require you to issue simplified invoices, you will only have to make a daily summary entry, as you are not obliged to identify each of the recipients.

Likewise, another novelty that you must take into account is that you must write down the income tax withholding and its amount in the sales and income book. And, in the purchase and expense book you will also have to include the total price, the concept of the deductible expense and, if applicable, information on the withholding.

Deadline for entries

Before the deadline for the submission of instalments, all transactions subject to registration must be entered in the relevant register.

If they are operations that do not require an invoice, you will have 7 days to incorporate them into your accounting.

In respect of invoices received, you must enter them in the order in which they are received and within the tax period in which you are going to deduct them.

Corrections for errors or omissions

If due to confusion or omission of some data, you want or need to make a modification in your accounting records, you can do so when the error is detected by making a note that allows you to readjust all the accounting in the quarterly settlement period.

Scope of the new obligations

Not all freelancers will be equally affected by these developments. Depending on the system under which you pay your income tax, you will be required to keep some kind of accounting books:

Direct estimation regime either normal or simplified.

It will affect you regardless of whether you are engaged in a business or professional activity or whether you do not carry out activities of a commercial nature, as the case may be.

Objective Estimation or Modules

New entries in the accounting books will only apply to you in the investment goods register if you deduct depreciation, if any.


  • If you are on Simplified Direct Estimation, you must keep books on sales and income, purchases and expenses, and investment goods.
  • If you are in Normal Direct Estimation you will be obliged to the same books in case you carry out business activities without a commercial character, adding the book of provisions of funds and supplemented if you carry out a professional activity.
  • And if you pay tax under the Objective Estimation System or Modules, you must keep the register of investment goods, when you deduct depreciation; and the register of sales and income, when you calculate the net yield of your activity taking into account your volume of operations.